|Prep Time||:||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||:||2 hours|
|Total Time||:||2 hours 10 mins|
- 225g (½ lb) plain flour
- 114 g (¼ lb) suet or Guernsey Butter
- 680g (1½ lb) apples (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 225g (½ lb) demarara sugar
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of mixed spice
- ½ teacup of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 free range egg
- Rub the butter or suet into the flour until like breadcrumbs.
- Add all other dry ingredients, apple and mix well.
- Add egg and water and again mix well.
- Place in a 7 inch (18cm) square tin and cook in a low oven for 2 hours until golden brown.
Prior to making this dessert all dry ingredients and apple can be mixed together and stood in the fridge to improve the flavour. Also, why not keep back some sugar to sprinkle on top prior to cooking – this makes a crunchier top.